Friday, August 17, 2012

Ribbon! Ribbon! Ribbon!

now read that title again inserting Jan's voice from the Brady Bunch saying "Martha Martha Martha!"

(So my design tips blog seemed to get the most hits so far so I'm going to indulge in another)

My obsession with ribbon started my senior year. We had just moved into a new house that prior summer and I was redecorating my room with more intention and creativity than I ever had before. With my sister's help we transformed vaulted ceilings and a dark bathroom into a bright and cheerful teen room.



ok so here is the only picture I could find that gave any glimpse of the room! but oh that bright purple man did I love it and my dad of course didn't just paint it purple but added depth and dimension to it by layering on some lilacs and pink ( have I ever mentioned I have the most amazing dad ever!) 

So anyways with this room started my ribbon experimentation. My favorite thing I did was hang ribbon at the threshold of my in suite bathroom door.. inspired by those wooden bead curtains from the 70's and 80's (btw I totally think we should bring them back- in a new classy way of course, but I'll save that one for later).

Mine looked a lot like this(minus the kissing newlyweds):


All I did was tape a strip of that double sided foam tape at the top of the molding and stuck the precut strips of ribbon on it. It was super easy and since it wasn't a major walkway the only time they ever got pulled down was if I tripped on my way into the bathroom. I found a few pictures of people who had tied the ribbon to a rod that they then placed above the threshold with brackets. You could also use an adjustable shower curtain for the same stability but it would have to be in a threshold without a door and in my opinion looks a little tacky. I like the clean, how did they do that look! And if that's not enough to convince you... tape is much much cheaper!

You know you love this!





another great way I found to hang from a dowel instead of tying, decorative clips!



So here are a few other clever ways to use ribbon around the home:

1. Shower Curtain!!! 



This shower curtain used to be made by Garnet Hill but why not make it yourself! If you are super crafty you can sew and grommet your own header for the rings to go in and the ribbon to hang by. But if that idea intimidates you could easily take an old shower curtain or an ugly one on clearance at Ross and cut everything but the header off (make sure the color goes well with your ribbon colors). Then, with some care, begin sewing your ribbon onto that strip leaving about a quarter inch on the backside. Yes it won't look as beautiful when you are taking a shower, but the clear plastic curtain should help with that!

2. On the Wall!

I recently, out of desperation to bring some quick color to my master bedroom and draw the eye onto the wall and away from the clunky old dusty TV that sits on our dresser, tried this one. I'd just get rid of the TV but for the few times we've turned on CMT music on a saturday morning, those memories of cuddling I wouldn't trade for anything. But back to the wall. So in my ditch effort I was considering hanging my jewelry as decoration from horizontal ribbon or wire on the wall (great idea btw. I currently have a small frame with fabric behind and ribbon and wire hung horizontally to hang my necklaces). So I decided to do a test run to determine the ribbons strength. All I found in my box that wasn't purple was a very thin, maybe quarter inch mauve ribbon... blahhh but like I said I was desperate! So anyways I hung it by thumb tacks first on the maybe 5 foot span and immediately saw it wasn't going to work. But wait! I liked that! And so I hung a few more and created two stripes before I ran out of ribbon. Ha this is my life's home decorating story! Hopefully I can get out and get some ribbon I actually like and finish my project!

Here is an embarrassing picture of what I have so far.. but you'll be amazed how well it does the trick.. I can't wait to get different ribbon and bring some real color to the wall (my husband asked when he got home if I was going to paint those stripes or was I just leaving the ribbon :/ )



Vertical stripes are great too! These stripes are made using electrical tape- which is supposed to not pull paint off or leave marks but I'd be a little afraid of that black smudge it likes to leave when it heats up and seals... soooo why not do it with ribbon. A whole wall may take a little time to get it all even and straight but a few yards of ribbon and some half inch nails will transform your room!



3. Curtains (indoor and outdoor)

If you are using curtains to merely be decorative why not use ribbon. Cheap, easy, and custom! All you need is a curtain rod and tie each ribbon to the top then hang or swag as you would normally. This idea is not only for a kids room!

Check out these images:



 


4. Canopy

When I moved away for college I took that same ribbon with me. I updated my wall color to a teal tinted Robbins egg blue (the secondary color in my old room). But this time I hung the ribbon from the center of the head of my bed out to either side.. I would have loved if it had hung down all the way to the floor but I was using what I had. 

Here are a few pictures of others canopies

I like this idea for hanging from a dining table chandelier 




5. On Accessories

Everyone has seen this one, but it doesn't down grade its glory. Ribbon on a lamp shade!


Don't be afraid to try ribbon out to trim other things up... 

To put a few ideas out there: 
  -put ribbon along the inside trim of a door- instead of paint
  -wrap ribbon around a pedestal or leg of a piece of furniture
  -wrap ribbon around a column
  -create molding like squared framing *



The Ideas are endless but now's your turn as my brain is just about fried ;)

"And that's the news from lake Wobegon where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average."

No comments:

Post a Comment